Washoe County Public Swimming Pool and Spa Operator Requirements
As of January 1, 2012, all permitted pools and spas within Washoe County must have an individual who has been recognized as a Certified Public Swimming Pool and Spa Operator in order to maintain the permitted status. Any facility that does not meet this requirement will have the permit suspended until a reinspection has been completed with their Public Swimming Pool and Spa Operator present.
To obtain the Public Swimming Pool and Spa Operator Certification, individuals must successfully complete a Certified Pool Operator (CPO) course through the National Swimming Pool Foundation. This is the only National certification accepted by the Washoe County Health District at this time.
In order to receive the Public Swimming Pool and Spa Operator Certification from the Washoe County Health District and be in compliance, applicants must:
- Complete the Washoe County CPO Application
- Provide a copy of NSPF certification
- Must include date of successful course completion
- Provide a current copy of Government Issued ID
- Must have current Government issued ID with applicant at the time of document submittal in order to process application
- Every permitted pool and/or spa facility must complete and conspicuously post the CPO Certification Form provided. The CPO Certification Form identifies the Public Swimming Pool and Spa Operator who oversees the facility and their current contact information.
There is no limit to the number of facilities that an operator can oversee. The Public Swimming Pool and Spa Operator certification is good for five (5) years from receipt of the NSPF certification. The same process is required for renewals.
Please contact the WCHD at (775) 328-2434 with any questions or one of the pool and spa program contacts for assistance.