View of the Reno Sparks night skyline from Rancho San Rafael Regional Park
View of the Reno Sparks night skyline from Rancho San Rafael Regional Park

What Work Would Not Require A Building Permit?

Permits shall not be required for the following:

1) Fences not over 30 inches in height. Repair or replacement of fences less than 100 linear feet long.

2) Oil derricks.

3) Movable cases, counters and partitions not over 5 feet 9 inches high.

4) Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge or impounding Class I, II or III-A liquids.

5) Patios, walks and driveways constructed of concrete or asphalt on grade without foundations and not over any basement or story below and not creating land coverage as defined by the TRPA.

6) Painting, papering tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work. Temporary (not to exceed 180 days) motion picture, television and theater stage sets and scenery.

7) Window awnings supported by an exterior wall which do not project more than 54 inches (1372 mm) from the exterior wall and do not require additional support of Group R-3, as applicable in section 101.2, and Group U occupancies. In the Incline Village area, window awnings also must not be visible from a TRPA defined scenic corridor.

8) Prefabricated swimming pools accessory to a Group R-3 occupancy as applicable in section 101.2, which are less than 24 inches deep,does not exceed 5,000 gallons (18925 L) and are installed entirely above ground. In the Incline Village area, the pool must also not create land coverage as defined by TRPA.

9) Decks not exceeding 30 inches (762 mm) above grade, except decks at Incline Village. All decks at Incline Village require a building permit pursuant to Washoe County Code 110 and TRPA requirements.

10) Wire fencing for agricultural use on parcels larger than 1 acre when required set backs are maintained.

11) Siding applied over existing siding. One story detached accessory buildings used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 120 square feet and the location is within the setbacks defined in Washoe County Code 110 (Community Development Code) and does not house any utility equipment. In Incline Village area, the building must also not create land coverage as defined by the TRPA. Roofing repair if the roof is less than 100 square feet or still under its one year warranty.

12) Door and window replacement when the opening size and location remain the same.

13) Water tanks supported directly on grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons (18925 L) and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2 to 1.


1) Repairs and maintenance: Minor repair work, including the replacement of lamps or the connection of approved portable electrical equipment to approved permanently installed receptacles.

2) Radio and television transmitting stations: The provisions of this code shall not apply to electrical equipment used for radio and television transmissions, but do apply to equipment and wiring for power supply, the installation of towers and antennas.

3) Temporary testing systems: A permit shall not be required for the installation of any temporary system required for the testing or servicing of electrical equipment or apparatus.


1) Portable heating appliance.

2) Replacement of any minor part that does not alter approval of equipment or make such equipment unsafe.


1) Portable heating appliance.

2) Portable ventilation equipment.

3) Portable cooling unit.

4) Steam, hot or chilled water piping within any heating or cooling equipment regulated by this code.

5) Replacement of any part which does not alter its approval or make it unsafe. Portable evaporative coolers.

6) Self-contained refrigerant system containing 10 pounds (4.5 kg) or less of refrigerant and actuated by motors of 1 horsepower (746 W) or less.


1) The stopping of leaks in drains, water, soil, waste or vent pipe provided, however, that if any concealed trap, drain pipe, water, soil, waste or vent pipe becomes defective and it becomes necessary to remove and replace the same with new material, such work shall be considered as new work and a permit shall be obtained and inspection made as provided in this code.

2) The clearing of stoppages or the repairing of leaks in pipes, valves or fixtures, and the removal and reinstallation of water closets, provided such repairs do no involve or require the replacement or rearrangement of valves, pipes or fixtures.

Notice: Exemption from the permit requirements of this code shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of this code or any other laws or ordinances of this jurisdiction.