For Immediate Release
Reno, Nevada. July 14, 2014. Making food sizzle on a barbeque grill is one of the more popular ways to prepare a meal in the summer but it also can be dangerous. Firefighters have responded to a couple of grill-related fires recently, and the Truckee Meadows Fire Protection District (TMFPD) is reminding people to be safe and smart while using barbeque grills. Gas grills cause more home fires than their charcoal counterparts, but all grills pose a risk for fires and burns. Roughly half of the injuries involving grills are thermal burns.
“We want to remind people to always use caution when grilling outdoors,” said Amy Ray, Fire Marshal for TMFPD. “Make sure to keep pets and children away from a hot grill at all times and never leave the grill unattended.”
Some tips to remember when grilling this summer:
- Propane and charcoal grills should only be used outdoors.
- Charcoal grills are prohibited for use in an apartment complex.
- Keep children and pets at least three feet away from the grill area.
- Keep your grill clean by removing grease or fat buildup from the grill and from trays below the grill.
- Never leave your grill unattended.
Reminder: People with propane grills should check the tank hose for leaks before using it for the first time each year. Put a light coating of soap and water solution on the hose. A propane leak will release bubbles.
For more tips on grilling safety, check out this tip sheet from the National Fire Protection Association.